optimize your website for search engines
Improving your website’s ranking in search engines is essential to attracting more visitors to your site. By following these simple yet effective tips, you can improve your website’s ranking in search engines that can positively impact your business.
- Choose the right keywords
- Use keywords throughout your website
- Create high-quality content
- Build links to your website
- Optimize for mobile devices
1. Choose the right Keywords
The first step to improving your ranking is to choose the right keywords for your website. These are the words and phrases that people are likely to use when searching for information on your niche or business. It’s best to search for long-tail keywords. You can use a keyword research tool to help you find the right keywords.
Long-tail keywords are keywords or key phrases that are more specific, and usually longer than more commonly used keywords. Using long-tail keywords get less search traffic, but will usually have a higher conversion value, as they are more specific. They allow you to gradually get more traffic to your website and be found by new audiences. Source
Free Keyword Search Tools
- Wordstream Free Keyword Tool makes it fast and easy to find the keywords your business needs to drive traffic through organic and paid searches.
- Keywords Everywhere is a freemium Chrome extension and Firefox add-on that helps you with Keyword Research.
- Google Keyword Planner uses Google data to help you research keywords.
2. Use the keywords throughout your website
Once you’ve chosen your keywords, you need to use the keywords throughout your website. This includes your website’s title, meta descriptions, header tags, and throughout your content.
It is also good practice to add keywords to your image’s alt text. Alternative (Alt) Text is meant to convey the “why” of the image as it relates to the content of a document or webpage. Alt text is read aloud to users by screen reader software, and it is indexed by search engines. It also displays on the page if the image fails to load, as in this example of a missing image. You can also add alt text to clip art, charts, tables, shapes, SmartArt, embedded objects, and audio or video objects.
Avoid Keyword Stuffing
Keyword stuffing or the practice of adding as many SEO keywords onto a page as physically possible is forbidden by Google and will downgrade your website rank. To avoid keyword stuffing, use a WordPress plugin like Yoast SEO to help monitor and balance the number of times you utilize a keyword in your content.
Not only is Yoast SEO great for managing how often you use keywords, but it also guides the user to add the website’s title, meta descriptions, and header tags throughout to keep their content nice and easy to read for their audience. I use Yoast SEO on all of my client’s WordPress websites, and I highly recommend using the free version on your website.
3. Create high-quality content
The most important factor in SEO is creating high-quality content that people will want to read. This content should be informative, well-written, and engaging. It helps you attract users, convert them into customers, and increase retention. To create high-quality content, you must understand your audience and industry.
4. Build links to your website
Links from other websites to yours are a major ranking factor in SEO. You can build links to your website by guest blogging, participating in forums, and submitting your website to directories.
High-quality backlinks are links from reputable websites that link to your website or content. They come from authoritative websites, meaning they have earned trust over time as reliable sources of information for their readership.
LinkedIn is a reputable website to create backlink opportunities. When you write a blog post that resonates with your audience, it will be shared more often, which helps increase exposure for your business. Your content should be informative, and entertaining while delivering value to your audience. When writing a blog post or guest post on LinkedIn, ensure you are linking to your website within the article.
Listing your website in business directories such as Google Business Profile, Yelp, Yellow Pages, and Yahoo Local are quick-win opportunities to start building local ranking.
Related Blog: Improve your local ranking with Google Business Profile
5. Optimize for mobile devices
More people are using their mobile devices to search the web. Make sure your website is responsive and optimized for mobile devices so that it can be easily viewed and navigated on a small screen.
If your site is not optimized for mobile devices, it may impact how Google ranks your website. Not sure if your site is mobile responsive? Run it through Google’s free test. If your site is not mobile-friendly, it’s time to update your website with a new mobile-friendly theme.
Test your website: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly
Additional tips to optimize your website for search engines
- Images and videos can help to break up your text and make your website more visually appealing. They can also help to improve your SEO by providing additional keywords for search engines to index.
- Search engines prefer websites that are updated regularly with new content. Make sure to add new blog posts, articles, and other content to your website on a regular basis.
- Social media can be a great way to promote your website and attract new visitors. Make sure to share your content on social media and interact with your followers.
- Content Management System (CMS) can make it easier to manage your website’s content and SEO. There are many different CMSs available, such as WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
Learn more about CMS: Self-Hosted WordPress Website
Do you need help optimizing your website for search engines?
If so, get in touch, and let me help you optimize your website to attract more visitors and help your business grow.