Increase your business credibility with a clean, functional website. A self-hosted WordPress website allows for growth and full ownership of content without violating terms of service that are present with third-party websites such as Squarespace, Wix, Weebly, Shopify, etc. You need three components to manage your own website: a domain name, hosting service, and access to content management software.
The domain name is your business or brand name.
Your domain name is the branded address people type in to access your website. It’s a unique name followed by one of several domain name extensions – “.com”, “.org”, and “.net”.
Find the right domain name to grab more attention and visitors to your service or business.
- GoDaddy: Domain registration only (do not purchase the hosting plan service or website builder option).
- Bluehost: Register for a domain name with your Bluehost hosting service and receive one year of domain registration.
- DreamHost: Register for a domain name with your DreamHost hosting service and receive one year of domain registration.
Web hosting is a service that allows organizations and individuals to post a website or web page onto the Internet. A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services required to publish content on the Internet. A download of the WordPress content management system and the domain will live on the web hosting server.
Shared Hosting vs. Managed WordPress Hosting
Shared Hosting means sharing resources with other sites on the same server. When launching a new website, shared hosting is a popular choice because the cost of server maintenance is spread across many customers. The benefits of shared hosting include a one-year free domain, unlimited traffic, unlimited SSD storage, one-click WordPress installation, free SSL certificate, and 24/7 support. With shared hosting additional plugins to perform website backups, security, and speed optimization.
Conversely, Managed WordPress Hosting isolates resources that offer greater security and performance. Benefits of managed WordPress include automated daily backups and one-click restore. Built-in caching to improve website speed and performance. One-click staging to test new plugins and themes safely before pushing changes to the live site.
What are resources? Web hosting resources are CPU time, memory, storage, and network bandwidth.
- CPU (central processing unit) time is the exact amount of time that the CPU has spent processing data for a specific program or process.
- Memory is RAM (random access memory), which is a temporary storage device usage by the CPU to hold data for a short duration if multiple processes are running simultaneously. RAM recommendation is 512MB to 1GB per site.
- SSD storage or website space usage is to store, access, secure and manage digital data, files and services to maintain your website.
- Network Bandwidth is the amount of data your website can transfer to your users in a given amount of time. Typically web hosting companies will calculate and sell bandwidth iby Gigabytes (GB), but some web hosting companies may offer unlimited or unmetered bandwidth for shared hosting options.
- Unmetered resources are undefined limitations, which means you are not charged according to the amount of disk space (memory), storage, or bandwidth your website uses.
Shared Hosting Options
- Bluehost: Shared Hosting Choice Plus with added privacy and security features is great for beginners and brand new websites. Cost for a new plan: $7.45/12 months, $6.95/24 months, or $5.45/36 months
- DreamHost: Shared Unlimited plan is ideal for users who are launching a brand new website that does not immediately generate a lot of traffic. Cost for a new plan: $8.95 monthly, $2.95 month/12 months, and $3.95 month/36 months.
Managed WordPress Hosting Options
- DreamPress Basic is a perfect starter plan for a new or existing website and you want all the benefits of managed WordPress hosting. (Add-on recommendation: DreamShield for $3.00/month per domain ($36/year); this add-on protects your site from malware.)
- SiteGround GrowBig WordPress Hosting is an excellent choice if you have an existing website that has consistent web traffic and sales. (Add-on recommendation: SG SiteScanner for $1.50/month per domain ($18/year); this add-on is a malware detection and monitoring service.)
Content Management System
A content management system, often abbreviated as CMS, is software that helps users create, manage, and modify content on a website without the need for specialized technical knowledge.
WordPress is an open-source content management software to publish content on the internet. WordPress CMS is free to download, install, and use on your hosting service.
For reference, here are examples of businesses and organizations that utilize WordPress: https://wordpress.org/showcase/.
How Can I Help?
Plan In Action Web Services is here to help. I can help you navigate from an idea to launch while bringing your vision to life. Send me a direct message to get started.
Back to Frequently Asked Questions